This scholarship was established by Dado and Maria Banatao with the Asian Pacific Fund in 2002 to help California high school students of Filipino heritage pursue careers in science and engineering, fields where Filipinos are underrepresented.
- Number of awards: 5
- Amount: $5,000 (annual award)
- Renewable? Yes
- Total award: $20,000
- Grade level: Incoming freshman enrolled full-time at an accredited four-year college or university
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Major: engineering, mathematics, computer science, environmental or physical science
- Ethnic heritage: Filipino heritage (at least 50%)
- Financial need
- Residency: Northern California counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Merced, Monterey, Napa, Sacramento, San Benito, San Francisco, San Joaquin, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, Sonoma or Stanislaus. Southern California counties: Los Angeles, Orange or San Diego.
Documents Needed For The Application:
- Completed student application form
- Most recent transcript(s) of grades (including grading scale); unofficial transcripts are OK
- Resume (include work experience, school activities, community service, honors & awards)
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one of which is from a current teacher. Letters should be on official school or organization letterhead and must include the student’s first and last name.
- 15 to 25 finalists will be chosen.
- Finalists must be available for a 30 – minute interview in April in San Francisco for Northern California candidates, or in one of the three qualified counties for Southern California candidates (dates TBD).
- If chosen for interview, finalists must submit official transcript(s) of grades, SAT/ACT score reports and FAFSA student aid report.
- Applicants will be notified before May 1 whether or not they have been selected as scholarship recipients.
How to Apply:
Deadline: Every February
School Year: Deadline Date
- 2014-2015: 2/20/14